Novus
an equine & cervidae rpg
Hello, Guest!
or Register

Thank you, everyone, for a wonderful 5 years!
Novus closed 10/31/2022, after The Gentle Exodus

All Welcome  - The bluest things on earth

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Played by Offline Sparrow [PM] Posts: 196 — Threads: 34
Signos: 25
Dawn Court Scholar
Male [He/Him/His]  |  16 [Year 495 Spring]  |  15.2 hh  |  Hth: 22 — Atk: 18 — Exp: 48  |    Active Magic: Blood Manipulation  |    Bonded: Alba (Barn Owl)

No man was ever wise by chance.
It is a familiar tale, the one that Rouge weaves. Somnus is silent and steadfast as the newcomer tells his story, touching on topics both intimate and bright that the Dawn King had not business in asking, let alone knowing. Still, Rouge does not hold back in the truths and circumstances that had brought him to Novus, and the things he reveals are heart wrenching. Somnus knows and understands his story, his pain. Perhaps, in a way, it made him understand Rouge in a deeper sort of way, allowing him glimpses of the heart to the man beneath the name.

It was a story of love, loss, hope, defeat, and the promise of redemption. It is a second chance, and through more and more individuals that he speaks to, Somnus has begun to understand that Novus was that very thing for so many people. A second chance. Was it not a second chance for himself, too? When Vhallen had been reduced to nothing but ash and debris in the wake of betrayal, his beloved, beautiful king slain upon steps of marble, had Somnus himself not found redemption and a second chance within Novus’ countenance?

He thought of his beloved wife, Eulalie, and their beautiful twin children, Regis and Anemone. He thought of Ulric, his best friend and closest confidant. Ipomoea and Messalina, and their beautiful, blooming relationship that they still seemed so very uncertain of. He thought of Atreus; his brother that he once had hated, and while still carrying a remarkable amount of contempt, Somnus was surprised he could no longer call it ‘hate’. What it was, he didn’t know. Perhaps only time would tell. Perhaps, if Novus was a ‘second chance’ for people, maybe Atreus, too, could find his redemption here.

Whenever Rouge would pause in his impossibly difficult tale to tell, needing a moment to steady himself, the Dawn King’s verdant eyes would glance his way in concern. He was always ready to tell him that he did not need to speak of such intimate, private details, because he knew the raw, visceral pain they could bring up… But here the rust colored roan was, spilling his heart to a stranger. Somnus could see the strength that the grief and agony had forged, building, crafting, tempering a soul into the refined man that stood shoulder-to-shoulder with him as they walked quietly through the citadel courtyard.

Inevitably, the story came to an end, and Somnus’ eyes slid closed. He breathed in deeply, collecting his mind, letting the words come to him naturally as well as give Rouge a chance to collect himself from the troubling emotion that surely such a story could drag up. The dunalino’s eyes flicked open, and he turned his head to offer the roan a warm smile once more.

“I understand,” he responded simply, because he did, “Truly, I do. The fact that you have taken these experiences in previous lives and allowed them to temper and forge your spirit and not douse it beneath its weight is quite incredible. You should be proud of yourself, my friend.” Ah, but they had just met, yet it was so remarkably easy to find a solid sort of kinship within Rouge’s experienced spirit. “You are quite right. Things have been difficult these past few weeks. With the murders within Viride, I regret to say that we are not as close to solving this travesty as I prayed we would be. Alas… With your assistance, I am certain we will stop it before it can strike again.”

Bold words, but Somnus had to believe they could do it. If not? Well, it was far too easy to give into doubt, and he could not afford to do such a thing. Glancing over his shoulder to where Alba was still perched, the Dawn King gave a hearty chuckle. It rumbled throughout his chest, warm and joyful despite the severity of the previous conversation. “Ah, indeed. She is far more than I could have fathomed, Oriens be praised. I am lucky to have her.”

Letting his gaze focus on ahead, the two winged stallions walked side-by-side once more. Their hooves scraped and clattered against the cobblestone of the courtyard, and Somnus still smiled and greeted those who they happened to pass. With the closure of the borders, many of the citizens tended to ensuring they tended to their duties or chores during the day so that they would not be outside and exposed after dark. Who knew if the creature responsible even cared about darkness? There was such limited information about it all…

“With your skills as a soldier, you should meet Ulric. He is our Warden here and is in charge of Delumine’s military forces. Ulric is a dear friend of mine, and I know that he can also assist you in settling here within Dawn. Perhaps he can organize you a patrol? It might help you learn our borders, as well as learn the others who reside here.” And help keep them safe, but that went without saying.

The Dawn King chuckled once more, his emerald eyes glittering somewhat slyly in the sunlight. “Although I doubt it will take you too long to do just that.”

tag: @Rouge

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self."

Please tag Somnus in all replies!

Messages In This Thread
The bluest things on earth - by Rouge - 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Somnus - 03-13-2019, 07:48 PM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Rouge - 03-15-2019, 09:55 PM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Somnus - 03-17-2019, 01:56 AM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Rouge - 03-21-2019, 08:31 PM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Somnus - 04-01-2019, 01:45 AM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Rouge - 04-04-2019, 05:16 PM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Somnus - 04-08-2019, 07:07 AM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Rouge - 04-09-2019, 08:30 PM
RE: The bluest things on earth - by Somnus - 04-28-2019, 11:58 PM